Joining the A2J Competitive Kompany
- The majority of our students dance at the recreational level, and we offer a wide variety of instructional, technique-focused weekly classes with a professional year-end revue for them.
- But for the student who desires something more, our dance studio has competitive kompany teams that allow for more performance opportunities and training at dance competitions and conventions.
- Our goal for them is to have a competitive, positive, and extremely self-driven group of dancers that are very focused on training in dance and desire to better themselves, all while being team players.
Students will be auditioning with material that they have learned during the audition day. Multiple dances will be taught. Judges will choose from the list and ask the dancer to perform that piece with the music. Students may ask to restart one time, if they choose to do so.
Dancers can only audition for a genre if they have already had one year prior experience in said genre.
About our Kompany Teams
- A2J Crew Dance Kompany had two four Golden Ticket routines in our last competition season and multiple special judges awards for standout qualities within our dances.
- We pride ourselves in developing well-rounded dancers. Last season, our team had jazz and clogging routines earn overall first-place wins.
- Our routines also won specialty awards for choreography, technique, showmanship, and entertainment.
- Awards are fun, but our main goal is to see growth in all of our dancers on and off the stage. It is our desire to develop work ethic, dedication, and drive in our dancers that will serve them well through their dance careers and carry over into all of their future endeavors.
- Our Kompany Teams consist of Mini Kompany, Petite Kompany, Junior Kompany, and Senior Kompany. Placement is determined by numerous factors such as performance at auditions, showmanship throughout the year, respect for their peers, the studio, and their teachers, and dedication to training and responsibility.
For students who desire more training and performance opportunities at competitions and conventions, we’d love to have you join our dance family!
Team Requirements & Audition Dates
- Competitive dance group members are selected by audition. The dancer must be present at auditions in order to be placed in a group.
- 2021-2022 Competition Team auditions will be held on Tuesday, July 13, 2021 beginning at 5:00pm.
- Prospective competitors may choose which genre(s) to try out for. You choose which and how many genres to audition for. You can choose to try out for all genres or just for one. If you try out for a genre, you are committing to compete with that group if selected.
- All auditions are closed to the public.
- We may also have some specialty small group numbers. All of these will be by invitation only. If invited, please know that you are obligated to remain in your large group dances if you choose to accept and participate.
- In order to audition, students must attend our Summer Intensive for all current and prospective competition dancers through June and July.
- The team competes in 2-3 regional competitions every year with at least one being local. Attendance at all competitions is mandatory for every competitor. Competitors are also required to attend each convention that we schedule per year as a studio, excluding all minis.
- All competitors, with the exception of some minis, are required to enroll in and regularly attend jazz or ballet class as an additional monthly cost. Attendance will be considered and monitored weekly. Dancers may choose to enroll in a recreational class or audition for competition if they have had previous experience in the genre.
- Audition results will be posted in our app "A2J Crew Dance Kompany." Download it here:
Informational Parent Meetings
- We will hold an informational parent meeting before auditions to discuss what competition involves and answer any questions for those who are considering trying out for a group. (DATE TBA)
What do I wear?
What does it mean if I make the competition team?
Classes & Other Important Information
News Updates and Choreography