Joining the A2J Competitive Kompany
About our Kompany Teams
Students will be auditioning with material that they have learned during a previous class or made up on their own.
Dancers can only request a genre if they have already had one year prior experience in said genre.
For students who desire more training and performance opportunities at competitions and conventions, we’d love to have you join our dance family!
- Our summer intensives will run Tuesdays through the months of June and July for Petites/Mini teams, and Wednesdays for JR/SR teams. Visit our "Summer Classes and Camps" Tab for more information!
Team Requirements & Placement Selection Date
- Competitive dancers are selected by placement forms and yearly progress monitoring.
- 2022-2023 Kompany Team placements will be announced on or before Thursday, June 2, 2022 this year via email.
- Prospective competitors may choose which genre(s) to try out for. You choose which and how many genres to audition for. You can choose to try out for all genres or just for one. If you try out for a genre, you are committing to compete with that group if selected.
- All placement selections are closed to the public.
- We may also have some specialty small group numbers. All of these will be by invitation only. If invited, please know that you are obligated to remain in your large group dances if you choose to accept and participate.
- In addition to submitting a placement form, students must attend our Summer Intensive for all current and prospective competition dancers June through July.
- The team competes in 2-3 regional competitions every year with at least one being local. Attendance at all competitions is mandatory for every competitor. Competitors are also required to attend each convention that we schedule per year as a studio, excluding all minis.
- All competitors, with the exception of some minis, are required to enroll in and regularly attend jazz or ballet class as an additional monthly cost. Attendance will be considered and monitored weekly. Dancers may choose to enroll in a recreational class or audition for competition if they have had previous experience in the genre.
- Placement results will be emailed to the email address that we have on file/ is provided on the kompany placement consideration form.
Kompany Placement Consideration Form
Please submit this form to be considered for an A2J Crew Kompany Team by Thursday, May 5, 2022. This form helps communicate to the teachers what your goals are for the dance season. All teachers will have the final say and may place a student wherever they feel necessary. If you have any questions please let us know, we would be happy to help! Our 2022-23 Kompany Teams will be decided by Thursday, June 2, 2022. You will receive a placement form back on or before this date to your provided email in this form.
What do I wear?
2022-23 Audition Specifics
Try-outs will take place on Wednesday, June 1, 2022 for students who are not already on our Kompany teams and wish to compete. Also, they are for students who wish to compete in a new genre that they have not had previous experience competing with. Students have the opportunity to try-out for:
Hip hop Acro Musical Theatre Lyrical
Tap Jazz Ballet Clog Contemporary
Please visit out Audition Form Tab to sign up for a time slot to complete your audition(s) for the 2022-2023 season! A sign-up sheet will be available the week leading up to recital for potential Junior and Senior Kompany members. Additional information will be announced via the A2J Crew app.
Results will be closed to the public and posted to our A2J Crew App on or before Thursday, June 2, 2022. We look forward to seeing you there!
- Mini team is available in acro, ballet, and tap. Minis do not participate in try-outs. Minis need to communicate with the teacher of the genre prior to the date of try-outs.
- Absentee try-outs will be given on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of Miss Jill and must be completed prior to the date of try-outs.
Look below for more information about details leading up to the audition (General Guidelines) and following the audition (If You Make the Team) to be prepared!
Informational Parent Meetings
What does it mean if I make the competition team?
- Attendance at competitions, dance conventions, scheduled shows, scheduled parades, and all dance functions is required. We typically attend at least three competitions and two conventions per year.
- You will be held accountable for making every practice; if you have to miss one it must be pre-approved by your teacher
- We also have a demerit system in place for our expectations, TEAMWORK MAKES THE DREAMWORK!
- You will be invited to dance on the production team if you audition and are accepted in our Hip Hop Competition program! It's our largest dance of the year, and is the most exciting, at no extra cost! There is no regular class fee for your child to participate in our annual production; however, there will be an additional costume fee.
- The jazz teams will be a part of our very first annual Jazz production next year! There will not be an extra costume fee, but there will be a tank top and shorts that they will be asked to purchase on their own from our team store at a later date!
- You will receive more information on jewelry, makeup and hair at a later date for all competition kompanies.
Classes & Other Important Information
- Throughout our regular dance season, competition classes are rated differently than non-competition classes. Refer to the front desk for more details about this.
- All competition dancers are required to take a ballet or jazz class throughout the entire year, no matter what genre of dance they are in. *Boys are NOT required to participate in a ballet/jazz class if the only genre they are participating in is Hip Hop.
- Hip Hop dancers are required to purchase specific tennis shoes and jazz dancers are to have specific "Capezio Free Form Jazz Shoes". Please see Miss Jill and Miss Lexi for more information.
- Competition/Performance outfits are ordered through our team store online. You will be notified by Miss Jill when the online team store opens. You will find the link to access this store in our "Kompany Store" Tab. Total cost for their performance wear is approximately $170. Every competition dancer MUST purchase this performance-wear in order to compete with their team.
- Each dancer will be required to purchase one costume per genre they are enrolled in ($90/costume/class). Costume deposits of $50 per costume is due mid October of each year. Remaining balance is due mid November of each year. There is no regular class fee for your child to participate in our annual production; however, there will be an additional costume fee (only for the Hip Hop Production).
News Updates and Choreography